Modified: March 2, 2021 4:16pm

March 2, 2021

Clerk wants applicants to be prepared prior to surge of appointments

Erie County, NY – Erie County Clerk Michael P. Kearns wants to remind New Yorkers in order to board an airplane for domestic travel or enter a federal building without a valid United States passport you must have a REAL ID beginning October 1, 2021. 

In an effort to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, last year the federal government gave a one-year extension to anyone required to meet the REAL ID compliance standard, as a safety measure so not to further overwhelm local DMV offices during the pandemic.  

Kearns said, “The REAL ID process must be completed at an Erie County Auto Bureau. Our Motor Vehicle Representatives need to verify the authenticity and scan original documents. We want the public to be ready and review what original documents are required prior to the October 1st deadline which is just seven months away.” Additionally, appointments must be made at for all in-person transactions.

To apply for a REAL ID driver’s license or non-driver identification card, you must provide original or certified documentation that includes your date of birth and full name, such as a valid U.S. passport, a certified copy of a birth certificate, or an unexpired permanent resident card.

You must also provide a document that shows your full name and Social Security number, however, it is possible to get a REAL ID even if you are ineligible for a Social Security number. Finally, you must provide two printed documents that show that you are a resident of New York State, such as a rental or lease agreement, a home utility bill or employment documents.

“We also want the public to select the document is right for them as they do have a choice between an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or REAL ID version,’ stated Kearns. “The EDL is the ‘super-sized’ REAL ID that also allows for cross boarder travel between Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries by land or sea.” Neither the REALID nor the Enhanced versions can be used to fly internationally. Overseas flights to foreign countries require a valid U.S. Passport book.

Find out more about the REAL ID Act and review the list of acceptable documents required in order to meet the new compliance standard by visiting Those without internet capability needing to make a reservation or that require reasonable accommodations may call 716-858-8864.